October 16, 2011

THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON


 Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.  I love the fall colors and the fresh crisp air.  I enjoy Sunday walks with my family.  I find myself constantly admiring the bright and colorful leaves as I am riding my bike or driving in a car.  My heart is overwhelmed with thankfulness because this earth we live on is amazing!





Beautiful leaves on a Sunday Walk.

I love dressing up in a different costume for every party and I love the candy and sweets that are associated with Halloween.



Nelson Family Party-Great Costumes and Treats
There is so much to do… Haunted houses, forests, and circuses, Frightmares, Witch’s Fest, murder mysteries, carving pumpkins, caramel apples, Halloween guessing games, witches brew, Thriller, a Halloween parade at my school, baking pumpkin things, which I love, and did I mention dressing up and Halloween crafts?  I love dressing up and looking at all the cute Halloween decorations all around.  It is such a fun time and the excitement in my class is brewing.  


Haunted Forest!  Funnest part= slide at the end.




Next Year we are going full out in witch costumes. 


Amidst the spirit of Halloween, today I was reminded of the much more important spirit.  The spirit of the Holy Ghost.  I was able to watch my nieces and nephew perform in their Primary Program today.  While I was waiting for it to start, I began reading the introduction to the Book of Mormon.  The spirit bore witness to me of its truthfulness and the sacrifices that Joseph Smith went through in order for all of us to have the gospel in our lives and the blessings that come from it.  I was watching my younger nephew while we were waiting and to keep him occupied I found a picture of Christ in the front of the Book of Mormon.  I asked him who it was.  To my amazement, a young child of 18 months who can’t speak immediately got a huge smile.  I told him it was Jesus.  My nephew then looked in my eyes and touched the picture and said JESUS.  The spirit was so strong and I recognized that becoming like a child is truly something we all need to strive for.  My nephew was so happy his binky fell right out of his mouth, and I knew and felt of my Savior’s love for me and my nephew. I, too, love my Savior and need to be more excited when I say his name and share His gospel with others.   Thanks Jamesie for your example. 

No comments: